Thursday, August 23, 2007

the fine art of teaching

- from the Straits Times Online Forum 23 August 2007 -

We need more noble teachers

I REFER to Mr Jason Charles Ingham's letter, 'Teachers should educate, not just teach, students' (ST, Aug 11).

As a student of the 70s and 80s, I held a high respect for my teachers. Teaching was seen as a noble profession then. Or maybe we were just a generation that followed instructions without question.

Things have changed no doubt. Present-day teachers have great challenges ahead from keeping up with media, technological advancements and the toughest job of dealing with parents with high expectations. I have seen such parents - my friends are some of them, maybe I am too. I certainly do not envy the role teachers have to play, especially when some parents expect teachers to do wonders for their children's development, not just academically but also socially and emotionally. Some even look upon the teachers as taking over their parental roles. That's sad.

I have seen the present-day teachers too. Sadly, I have been disappointed. It's not a safe generalisation but oftentimes, I encountered teachers who pass on values that are so wrong for the young ones to model upon, values such as instant gratification, consumerism, lack of humility to serve, et cetera.

I also recall an older teacher telling me that when she asked a student to pick up a piece of litter on the school grounds, the child responded: 'For what? We got cleaners to do that kind of thing!' Arrogance indeed. What happened to pride in keeping the school grounds clean? Have we bred a nation dependent on maids to serve them?

I have deep respect for teachers still, especially the older generation ones. I have seen those with true passion to ignite the fire in their students, to educate them not just on school work but also in their overall development and appreciation of life. These are the kinds of teachers we need.

Teaching is not just for anybody. It requires a certain aptitude and definitely a love for education and the young. I wish, for the sake of my children, that they would find a teacher at least once in their educational life who inspires and motivates them, and teaches them to make a difference.

I do not envy MOE in selecting the right people for the job. It's tough finding such noble people. I can only hope more will come forward. To those who have, thank you for your efforts in grooming our young.

Jo-Anne Lee (Ms)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remembered the time when someone asked me why I didn't just apply to NIE when I couldn't get a place to read in NUS some years back. I was quietly indignant and thought the quip was incredulous. I knew how much of a rebel I was back in school. Do I want to subject myself to the even more rebellious school kids nowadays? Of course not.

But that's not the point. It's about feeling confident and passionate enough to make a difference. It is a noble thought and it will definitely be great to help introduce ideas to growing kids. To talk about life and get to know their viewpoints on life. But hey, not everyone can do that. I'm the type of student who doesn't just look at how well a teacher teaches the class. So what if he/she is a brilliant teacher who can get the good students to excel even more in their tests and exams? I care more about those who genuinely help the weaker students. Somehow, there is that vibe present. I want to be that kinda teacher (if I ever do become one). To let them know that I am genuinely concerned for their learning journey. And that I'm not some over-achiever, over-zealous teacher who wants you to quit my subject just because you don't excel in it.

Such an ideal but can I be like that? I highly doubt it. And that's why I didn't go to NIE, thank you very much. If it's my calling and if God permits, I will teach one day.

No comments: