Thursday, June 14, 2007

blue gizmo. ultimate measuring solution.

As you can see. I am trying (trying is the imperative word) to focus on work. My gaze happened to land on this particular brochure for food thermometers (yes. those gadgets - if you can even call them that - have been occupying my mind for the past weeks). It seems apt for a post title trying to inconspicuously shout out that I need to pick up the slack and do actual work.

Anyway.

There have been quite a few interesting topics covered in the news lately. That elusive Richard Yong. The NETS and SCV hike this coming July. Dyslexic people. And the big hoo-ha regarding local and foreign tertiary institutions. Abdul Basheer and the utter shock of it all. When I said interesting, I meant those I personally find remotely thought-provoking or just cause for indignation.

I initially thought of starting a post on Richard Yong. You know, commenting about the incompetence of certain government agencies in preventing such a fellow from leaving Singapore. Bring up arguments like how they can 'easily' capture, convict and hang the unfortunate Vietnamese Australian guy for trying to smuggle heroin into Singapore. But not prevent someone (who liberally spent huge amounts of money donated by well meaning people) from leaving Singapore! It's like "Wahey! Raise taxes. Raise prices of goods and services. Price hikes here there everywhere. But what of the money willingly parted to help those in need? Let slip one of the parties who used such donations to their own advantage, I say!" Gaaaaah! Unfairness!

Then, a colleague said "What for complain? The man's already gone!" Bah. That totally extinguished the raging fire within me.

Yes dear Singaporeans, Permanent Residents and anyone else living in Singapore. Prices are on the up, up, up. NETS is raising their levy charges and apparently one retail store has already passed it on to its customers. I've read several comments left on the online Straits Times when an article 'exposed' the mentioned retail store. Yupz, people are not happy. And to think I didn't wanna own credit cards and stick with the humble NETS card for fear of exceeding my credit limit. One thing's for sure, the upcoming price hike will definitely NOT convince my family to subscribe to Starhub Cable.

Up next, the big UNSW fiasco. I totally laughed my head off when I read the bit about local universities offering students chances to send in their applications. Come on! One major reason why most locals take full/part time degree courses with foreign universities is because they cannot get into local universities in the first place. Even certain A Level students with outstanding results (4 As & B4) could not get into the course of their choice (maybe due to Project Work or something or other). I concede there are those brilliant ones on scholarships with foreign universities and those who wish to pursue courses of study unavailable here. But seriously, if given the chance, most of us would rather not spend that extra money, thank you very much. Yeah I hafta agree some of us didn't work as hard or maybe some of us are late bloomers. But give us a break. I know there are many poly grads who wish to pursue a higher education but unfortunately, can't do so locally.

The point is - it is such a 'wayang' PR act on the part of these local universities. (I work in a public relations department. I somewhat understand the rationale for saying certain things or doing some things for the public eye.) You were the ones who rejected our applications anyway. So why bother proclaiming to the displaced UNSW students to send in their applications? Don't crush their hearts again. I believe some of them had to deal with the sadness and disappointment of not being able to enter local universities. Don't offer the good 'deed' just so you will look like caring varsities to the public. Don't dangle the carrot in front of the students, just to snatch it away. They have enough anguish and unanswered questions to deal with.

If I were in their positions, I'd probably submit my applications to the local varsities anyway. Desperation. Hope. Anything to push away the disbelief. Would I believe they would even consider my applications, though? Not a chance.

Another central theme for today is the issue of the Iraq War. Been reading some blogs from certain Iraqis detailing their lives and sentiments. What is there to believe about the world anymore? Can be somewhat linked to the Abdul Basheer incident here in Singapore. However, that will take alot out of me. Maybe I'll dedicate one post to that someday. When I have the will to do so.

No comments: